Bryan Stow out of hospital, transferred to rehabilitation facility

7 Comments

The news continues to get better about Bryan Stow, the Giants’ fan who was severely beaten outside Dodger Stadium on March 31.

According to the Associated Press, Stow was transferred to a rehabilitation facility today after nearly seven months in hospitals.

“Bryan has been an extremely challenging patient,” said Dr. Geoff Manley, who is the hospital’s chief of neurosurgery and has been overseeing Stow’s care. “It has been a roller coaster, but he is young and strong and has made tremendous advances.”

Dr. Manley added that Stow is “starting to get up but not quite walking.”

The family requested that the name of Stow’s rehab facility not be released to the public, but said in a statement, “We feel immense relief today, knowing that Bryan is ready to start the next chapter of his story.”

Stow has begun speaking in recent weeks and had his tracheotomy tube removed just a few days ago. As always, the family continues to provide updates on his progress on their website.

Scooter Gennett to undergo MRI after injury

Scooter Gennett
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.

Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.

The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.