Tigers-Yankees Game 1: Suspended. To be resumed tomorrow

40 Comments

Ain’t this a daisy: Joe Torre just announced that Game 1 has been suspended. You can’t predict baseball. But you can predict weather. Makes you wonder why they didn’t do that here.

Because of the new postseason rules that were put into place after the soggy 2008 postseason, all playoff games are played to their completion, not started from scratch, even if it hadn’t reached the fifth inning. That means — per Torre — that Game 1 of the Tigers-Yankees will be resumed at the time Game 2 was to be played tomorrow, 8:37PM.  It will be picked up where this one left off, with the teams tied at 1 in the middle of the second inning. Game 2 will now be played on Sunday at 3:07 PM, which would have been an offday, Game 3 goes as planned on Monday from Detroit.

The result: a giant mess, with the two aces, CC Sabathia and Justin Verlander being unavailable until at least Game 3, it would seem.  It certainly throws a wrench into both managers’ plans. The presumption: Doug Fister and Ivan Nova will likely pick it up beginning in the bottom of the second, tomorrow. Or does Justin Verlander try to talk his way into pitching again? We’ll let you know as soon as we hear. UPDATE:  The Tigers have announced that they’re going with Doug Fister tomorrow, Max Scherzer on Sunday and Justin Verlander coming back on Monday. This is HUGE because it means that Justin Verlander will now only pitch one game in this series (not counting his one inning tonight).

Oh well. This could have been avoided, it seems, if the people in charge had simply looked at the radar, which was apparently grim from the get-go.  But I suppose they had more important stuff to do.

No lease extension, but Orioles and governor tout partnership

orioles camden yards
Daniel Shirey/Getty Images
0 Comments

The Baltimore Orioles and Maryland Gov. Wes Moore announced a joint commitment to what they called a “multi-decade, public-private partnership” to revitalize the Camden Yards sports complex.

The statement from the team and the state’s new governor came Wednesday, the deadline for the Orioles to exercise a one-time, five-year extension to their lease at Camden Yards. The team was not planning to exercise that option, according to a person with knowledge of the decision. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the club hadn’t announced its decision.

With no extension, the lease is set to expire at the end of this year, but the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority can keep negotiating. Wednesday’s joint release seemed to be an attempt to calm any nerves in Baltimore about the team’s future.

“I am looking forward to continuing to collaborate with Governor Moore, his administration, and the Maryland Stadium Authority in order to bring to Baltimore the modern, sustainable, and electrifying sports and entertainment destination the state of Maryland deserves,” Orioles CEO John Angelos said.

“We greatly appreciate Governor Moore’s vision and commitment as we seize the tremendous opportunity to redefine the paradigm of what a Major League Baseball venue represents and thereby revitalize downtown Baltimore. It is my hope and expectation that, together with Governor Moore and the new members and new chairman of the MSA board, we can again fully realize the potential of Camden Yards to serve as a catalyst for Baltimore’s second renaissance.”

Republican Larry Hogan, the state’s previous governor, signed a bill last year increasing bond authorization for M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, and Camden Yards. The measure allowed borrowing of up to $600 million for each stadium.

“When Camden Yards opened 30 years ago, the Baltimore Orioles revolutionized baseball and set the bar for the fan experience,” Moore, a Democrat, said Wednesday. “We share the commitment of the Orioles organization to ensuring that the team is playing in a world-class facility at Camden Yards for decades to come and are excited to advance our public-private partnership.”

Angelos recently reaffirmed that the Orioles would stay in Baltimore, although he dressed down a reporter who asked for more clarity on the future of the team’s ownership situation. Angelos was sued last year by his brother Lou, who claimed John Angelos seized control of the Orioles at his expense.