Johnny Cueto officially ruled out for rest of season

3 Comments

While Johnny Cueto didn’t rule out the possibility of returning last week, he confirmed to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com today that he will indeed miss the rest of the season with a strained right lat muscle.

Cueto was removed from his start last Wednesday against the Cubs due to the injury.

“I’m not throwing. I think I’m done,” Cueto said. “I talked to the doctor and said I wanted to throw. He said, ‘No.’ OK, I won’t. I feel good. No pain, no nothing. I’m great.”

Thanks to a revamped delivery reminiscent of Luis Tiant, the 25-year-old right-hander will finish the season with a 9-5 record to go along with a 2.35 ERA and 104/47 K/BB ratio over 24 starts. However, he only has 156 innings pitched, which means he will not qualify for the ERA title. Dodgers’ southpaw Clayton Kershaw currently ranks first in the NL with a 2.30 ERA over 218 2/3 innings.

Red Sox reportedly listening to offers on Rick Porcello

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Red Sox are “openly listening” to offers for Rick Porcello. He says that the idea is to shed some salary for bullpen help, though just yesterday Dave Dombrowski said he was not planning on spending a lot of money on the bullpen this winter so who friggin’ knows?

Porcello posted a 4.28 ERA in 33 starts this past season. He is owed $21 million in 2019 and will be a free agent this time next year. Seems hard to imagine a deal that makes sense for him, but I suppose anything can happen.