Vizquel hopes to play next season at age 45

6 Comments

Omar Vizquel was once one of the best – if not the best – defensive shortstops in baseball. He’s little more than an aging utility man these days, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to call it quits.

Vizquel, who turns 45 in April, tells Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com that he hopes to land a spot on someone’s roster next season.

An easy-going sort, Vizquel said he’s not worried about playing time, but thinks he still has the ability to compete.

“I would love to have the opportunity to play another year,” Vizquel said. “I think I have the ability to play. I don’t think there’s much difference between me and the other guys on teams. I’m not expecting to play every day, but I think I can still play.”

Vizquel said he’d love to return to the White Sox, but doesn’t expect to, given Chicago is a high-payroll, veteran-laden disappointment of a team in need of new life. In fact, he said that poor body language by his teammates is inspiring him to keep playing.

“I feel 35 (years old). I look at players on this team right now that are around that age or less. You look at them playing, and it’s made me want to play more because the body language is not what you’d like to see. I don’t think I have that kind of body language and I don’t like to show it even if I’m tired. That is why I want to continue,” Vizquel said. “I feel great. I have a lot of energy. I still have the passion, and I still have the legs. That’s the main reason why.”

He didn’t point the finger at any players in particular, but said he didn’t think it was an issue of fatigue. “They don’t have that spark.”

Vizquel has played only 57 games this season, hitting .245 with a .282 OBP. He has split time at shortstop, third base, second base and first base this season.

You can follow Bob on Twitter here, or if Facebook is your thing, be his friend here.

Yankees place Aaron Judge (strained calf) on IL

Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports
Leave a comment

NEW YORK — Yankees star Aaron Judge was placed on the injured list with a right calf strain before Friday night’s game against Boston and manager Aaron Boone is optimistic the outfielder will not miss significant time.

The move was retroactive to Wednesday and Boone described the strain as mild after an MRI revealed the injury. To replace Judge on the roster, Thairo Estrada was recalled from the Yankees’ alternate site in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Judge began Friday leading the majors with nine homers and tied with Colorado’s Charlie Blackmon for the major league lead with 20 RBIs.

“It’s something that I think he really wants to try and work through here and kind of wants to be out here and feels like it’s a day-to-day thing which it may very well be, but I just think obviously it goes without saying how important a player Aaron is to us,” Boone said.

Boone had said last weekend’s series on the artificial turf in Tampa Bay took its toll on the 6-foot-7 outfielder.

Judge joined Giancarlo Stanton as the second Yankees slugger to land on the injured list this. Stanton was placed on the IL with a strained hamstring after getting hurt in the second game of last Saturday’s doubleheader.

“We’ve lost two MVP-caliber players,” Boone said. “Obviously that is a blow, especially two guys that playing well as they are right now.”

Judge was pulled for a pinch hitter during Tuesday night’s win over Atlanta and didn’t play Wednesday. The Yankees were off Thursday.

The 28-year-old All-Star missed time during July’s training camp because of a stiff neck.

The 2017 AL Rookie of the Year hit 27 homers in each of the last two seasons, both of them interrupted by injuries. His right wrist was broken when he was hit by a pitch in 2018 and he went on the injured list for two months last year with a left oblique strain.

Judge was diagnosed with a broken rib in March and would not have been ready for the season opener if the season began as scheduled on March 26.