Lance Berkman says re-signing with Cardinals “would be my first choice”

11 Comments

At times last season Lance Berkman looked washed up, posting an OPS below .800 for the first time, but he’s bounced back in a huge way this season at age 35 by hitting .290 with 29 homers and a .975 OPS.

Not surprisingly Berkman plans to keep playing in 2012, but the big question is whether he’ll re-sign with the Cardinals after resurrecting his career on a one-year, $8 million contract.

Asked yesterday about his plans, Berkman told Matthew Leach of MLB.com that he’d definitely like to stay in St. Louis:

This would be my first choice. Hopefully it will be here, but part of that is not up to me. This is a great group of guys. I think it has a lot of potential. Even if things don’t go like we want them to this year, I still feel like this is not a team that is rebuilding. It’s not a team that’s very far away from being right where it needs to be.

Surely the Cardinals would love to re-sign him to another one-year deal, but Berkman has played well enough that getting multi-year offers on the open market seems possible. If the Cardinals re-sign Albert Pujols to a monster contract will they have enough payroll space left to give multiple years to Berkman? And if Pujols leaves St. Louis as a free agent will they want to rebuild rather than re-sign the 36-year-old Berkman?

Report: Mariners CEO John Stanton denies allegations made by Dr. Lorena Martin

Dr. Lorena Martin
AP Images
1 Comment

Last month, Mariners former director of high performance, Dr. Lorena Martin, was dismissed from the club after the first year of her three-year contract. She made serious allegations of racism and sexism against the Mariners in the days that followed, all of which have been the subject of multiple investigations by the team itself as well as Major League Baseball. On Friday evening, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic published an email that had purportedly been sent to Mariners staff members by CEO John Stanton.

The email itself was printed here in full (subscription required) and basically rehashes everything the Mariners said in an official statement on Monday: That the team continues to deny allegations of racist and sexist behavior by general manager Jerry Dipoto, manager Scott Servais, and farm director Andy McKay because they are “completely inconsistent with who they are and what the Seattle Mariners stand for.”

Stanton added that no one had stepped forward to corroborate Martin’s accusations so far, and also went out of his way to mention that he had never personally observed members of the Mariners personnel “making disparaging, racist or sexist comments” during two trips to the Dominican Republic. The email concluded with an invitation for other staff members to speak up if they had any differing experiences or concerns about the team.

According to multiple reports from the Seattle Times and Tacoma News Tribune, among other outlets, Martin has yet to reveal a number of incriminating emails she claimed to have in her possession, nor has any staff member publicly supported her previous statements on her wrongful termination or the toxic culture within the club. That doesn’t mean, however, that the allegations she made against the Mariners are false, just as Stanton’s claim that he never personally witnessed instances of racism and sexism within the organization doesn’t mean that racist and sexist statements and actions were never made. As Bill pointed out, Martin has likely burned all bridges within the organization and, more significantly, throughout the league as well. It stands to reason that others would feel hesitant to come forward in light of the harsh ramifications that typically await whistleblowers in this kind of situation.

We’ll update this story as it continues to develop.