Jose Reyes ran yesterday for the first time since aggravating his left hamstring earlier this month, but Mets manager Terry Collins told the New York Post that it would be a “stretch” to expect him to be ready to return from the disabled list when he is first eligible Tuesday.
Reyes said yesterday that he wasn’t yet 100 percent, though he has seen considerable improvement over the past few days. More interesting, though, was his admission that he was worried about his hamstring in between stints on the disabled list.
“My confidence running-wise wasn’t there,” Reyes said of his time on the field between the two left hamstring strains that have landed him on the disabled list. “Anytime you have a problem with your hamstring, you don’t get your confidence back right away. It’s going to take some time to put it out of your mind.”
Reyes, an impending free agent, is batting .336/.377/.507 with five homers, 37 RBI and an .884 OPS over 462 plate appearances this season. While he still leads the National League in batting average, he also ranks first with 16 triples, second with 34 stolen bases, fifth with 80 runs scored and sixth with 144 hits.
UPDATE: Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger reports Jose Reyes ran the bases today and said he came close to running at full capacity. He isn’t sure when he’ll return from the disabled list, but believes that he will likely need to go out on a minor league rehab assignment first.