Rob Dibble will not shut up about Stephen Strasburg and the Nationals

65 Comments

Fired as the Nationals’ television analyst in the middle of last season after saying Stephen Strasburg should “stop crying” and “suck it up” to play through what proved to be a torn elbow ligament that required Tommy John surgery, Rob Dibble is now criticizing the Nationals for rushing Strasburg back “to sell tickets.”

Seriously.

Courtesy of Nationals Enquirer, here’s what Dibble said on his Sirius-XM radio show:

There’s absolutely no reason, other than to sell tickets and to put butts in the seats, to bring Stephen Strasburg back to make a few starts at the end of the season. He’s too valuable. He’s too talented to even think about stuff like that. But in their case, you know, having worked with those people, the only thing I can say is that there are some people there that think they invented the game of baseball. Which they did not.

And so they think they can do things differently than 29 other teams in the game. That’s the problem I had when I was working there, and now, even when I’ve been working on this channel for the last seven years. It’s pretty simple stuff. You want guys to play 15-20 years, you don’t need to rush a guy back just to get a couple starts in so you can sell out the stadium and stuff like that.

Amazing.

So when Strasburg initially injured his elbow Dibble mocked him for not pitching through the pain, but now that he’s missed nearly an entire year following surgery Dibble is ripping the Nationals for potentially calling him up to resume pitching in the majors after what’s been a pretty typically recovery timetable.

Wasn’t the best pitching prospect in baseball also “too valuable” and “too talented” to let pitch through an elbow injury last year, like Dibble so outspokenly advised? Where was his concern about wanting Strasburg “to play 15-20 years” back then?

What a hypocritical loudmouth.

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna could “draw a significant ban” for assault allegations

Mitchell Layton/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna was arrested in Toronto back on May 8 on charges of assault against a woman and he has been on MLB’s administrative leave list ever since — that leave having been extended twice already.

Canadian authorities aren’t revealing any details about the case so as to protect the identity of the accuser and it’s unclear where MLB’s investigation into the matter stands at this point, but Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports opens his latest column with this note …

Toronto Blue Jays star closer Roberto Osuna’s domestic issue is said by people familiar with the case to be serious and involve allegations of a physical nature, which would draw a significant ban.

Heyman notes that Major League Baseball handed 15-game suspensions to Jeurys Familia and Steven Wright for domestic assault cases where there was no physical abuse — or none proven — and that Aroldis Chapman got 30 games after a police report revealed that he did get physical with the victim and also fired a gun.

It sounds like Osuna could be facing a suspension of at least 20-25 games, given the precedent. Again, though, we don’t have any actual details.

Tyler Clippard has been operating as Toronto’s primary ninth-inning man in Osuna’s absence.