UPDATE: Forget Heath Bell – it’s Mike Adams to the Rangers

4 Comments

UPDATE:  It’s not often that Ken Rosenthal misfires — he is, in my view, the best at this rumor business —  but he misfired here. Almost immediately after his report that the Padres had traded Heath Bell to the Rangers, multiple reports came in that it was not Bell, but rather, Mike Adams who is going to Texas.  And the word is now that it is official.

In return the Padres will get prospects Joe Wieland and Robert Erlin.  Not a small price, as both of them are great looking prospects.  Wieland threw a no-hitter the other day for Double-A Frisco and is 10-3 with a 1.80 ERA and a 132/15 K/BB ratio in 129.2 innings across Single-A and Double-A ball this year.  Erlin has a slightly higher ERA but a similar BB/K ratio as Wieland across the same two divisions.

A tall price to pay for a setup guy, but clearly the Rangers are thinking “win now.”

2:29 PMPadres asleep at the wheel? Nah, they’re just waking up.  Pacific time, you know.

We don’t have details yet, but Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that the Texas Rangers have traded for Padres’ closer Heath Bell.  Moments before that tweet, it was reported that Bell was called into Bud Black’s office in San Diego.

The Rangers have been talking to the Padres about Bell for some time, but many figured that the interest had died out once they acquired Koji Uehara yesterday.  Now they have three relievers in Bell, Uehara and, oh yeah, Neftali Feliz who could close ballgames if need be and, in any event, can shut down hitters in the late innings.

The Rangers have slowly started to pull away in the AL West these past few weeks. Now it looks like they’re making moves to to mount a formidable run in the playoffs.

No lease extension, but O’s and governor tout partnership

orioles camden yards
Daniel Shirey/Getty Images
0 Comments

The Baltimore Orioles and Maryland Gov. Wes Moore announced a joint commitment to what they called a “multi-decade, public-private partnership” to revitalize the Camden Yards sports complex.

The statement from the team and the state’s new governor came Wednesday, the deadline for the Orioles to exercise a one-time, five-year extension to their lease at Camden Yards. The team was not planning to exercise that option, according to a person with knowledge of the decision. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the club hadn’t announced its decision.

With no extension, the lease is set to expire at the end of this year, but the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority can keep negotiating. Wednesday’s joint release seemed to be an attempt to calm any nerves in Baltimore about the team’s future.

“I am looking forward to continuing to collaborate with Governor Moore, his administration, and the Maryland Stadium Authority in order to bring to Baltimore the modern, sustainable, and electrifying sports and entertainment destination the state of Maryland deserves,” Orioles CEO John Angelos said.

“We greatly appreciate Governor Moore’s vision and commitment as we seize the tremendous opportunity to redefine the paradigm of what a Major League Baseball venue represents and thereby revitalize downtown Baltimore. It is my hope and expectation that, together with Governor Moore and the new members and new chairman of the MSA board, we can again fully realize the potential of Camden Yards to serve as a catalyst for Baltimore’s second renaissance.”

Republican Larry Hogan, the state’s previous governor, signed a bill last year increasing bond authorization for M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, and Camden Yards. The measure allowed borrowing of up to $600 million for each stadium.

“When Camden Yards opened 30 years ago, the Baltimore Orioles revolutionized baseball and set the bar for the fan experience,” Moore, a Democrat, said Wednesday. “We share the commitment of the Orioles organization to ensuring that the team is playing in a world-class facility at Camden Yards for decades to come and are excited to advance our public-private partnership.”

Angelos recently reaffirmed that the Orioles would stay in Baltimore, although he dressed down a reporter who asked for more clarity on the future of the team’s ownership situation. Angelos was sued last year by his brother Lou, who claimed John Angelos seized control of the Orioles at his expense.