The American League’s best team seems poised to get a little better.
The Red Sox activated Jon Lester from the disabled list in advance of his start Monday against the Royals. He’s slated to throw 80-85 pitches tonight, manager Terry Francona told CSNNE.com.
Lester missed three weeks with a left lat strain.
“Kind of stating the obvious that we’re really excited to have him back,” Francona said. “The only limitation we have tonight is probably a pitch count and that’s just because of common sense. But he feels good and there’s no restrictions pitching physically. There’s no issues there. Hopefully get back in a rhythm and get him back where he was in and turn him loose. Our guys have done a great job filling in for him but you need guys like Lester.”
As expected, J.D. Drew was placed on the DL to make room for Lester on the roster. Kyle Weiland was shifted to the bullpen for now.
But Lester’s return wasn’t the only good news for Boston today. Clay Buchholz, out five weeks with a strained back, threw 30 pitches in a bullpen session and said it’s the best he’s felt.
“I think this is the biggest step in the right direction so far in this process,” Buchholz said. “I don’t feel like there was any hitch in the delivery. It was what I wanted to go out there and do.”
There is no timetable for Buchholz’s return. From what he was telling the Boston Globe, he’s still a few weeks away.
“I want to be ready to go,” he said. “If it’s the middle of August, that’s good. If it’s September, that’s good, too. I want to try to come back and help this team get to the postseason and work our way from there.”