According to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, the Braves, Giants, Phillies, Rangers and Red Sox have all had scouts watching Carlos Beltran this weekend as the Mets take on the Marlins.
They should be liking what they’re seeing. Beltran just drove in a run for the third straight game with a first-inning sac fly versus the Marlins. He also walked once Friday and three times Saturday. He entered Sunday’s game hitting .291/.393/.520 in 344 at-bats.
While the Giants and Phillies have been labeled as the favorites for Beltran by Jon Heyman, Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan says the Rangers are “coming hard.”
Passan, though, labels the Giants the front-runners and says outfielder Francisco Peguero could be part of a deal. The Giants are likely trying to get Beltran without losing either their No. 1 position prospect, Gary Brown, or their No. 1 pitching prospect, Zack Wheeler.
Peguero a toolsy 23-year-old center fielder, has hit .269/.283/.417 with three homers in 108 at-bats for Double-A Richmond this season. Last year, he hit .322 with 10 homers, 16 triples and 40 steals for Single-A San Jose, but it came with an 88/18 K/BB ratio in 510 at-bats.
2:20 p.m. EDT update: Heyman hears that the Phillies have said no to including either outfielder Domonic Brown or top pitching prospect Jarred Cosart in a deal for Beltran. They have other quality pieces, such as first baseman Jonathan Singleton, RHP Brody Colvin and RHP Trevor May, but the Mets may be able to do better.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.
Update, 3/23: Gennett has been diagnosed with a right groin strain and will miss 8-12 weeks in recovery, the Reds said Saturday. Per The Athletic’s C. Trent Rosecrans, José Peraza and José Iglesias will cover second base and shortstop, respectively, with Kyle Farmer staying on as a backup option. Senzel will remain in Triple-A and continue his development as a center fielder.