Carlos Marmol removed from closer’s role indefinitely

4 Comments

Cubs manager Mike Quade acknowledged the obvious following yesterday’s close call win over the Marlins, telling Carrie Muskat of MLB.com that Carlos Marmol will be removed from the closer role indefinitely to work on his mechanics.

“Relievers just don’t have the side time and the time to work on stuff that starters do,” Quade said. “You almost have to say you’re going to give him a couple of days.”

Marmol walked four out of the five batters he faced Thursday night and followed that up by allowed two hits and a walk before being yanked from yesterday’s game in favor of Sean Marshall, who recorded the final out. If it wasn’t for Hanley Ramirez, who ran into the second out at second base, things could have been a lot worse.

Marmol’s ERA has jumped from 2.21 to 3.80 over his last four appearances. He has gone 20 batters without registering a strikeout, a shocking statistic for someone who has struck out 29.9 percent of the batters he’s faced during his major league career.

“He needs to get himself consistent, work-wise and understand what he needs to do, like he has for years,” Quade said. “Everybody goes through tough times and adjustments and this is one of his. We don’t want to lose sight of the fact that this guy has been good for a long time. It’s not like he’s been falling apart.”

Not completely true. For what it’s worth, Marmol is averaging just 91.9 mph on his fastball this season, down from 94.1 mph in 2010 and 94 mph in 2009. According to Brooks Baseball, he topped out at 91.4 mph on his heater yesterday. That’s not the guy we’re used to seeing.

There’s no timetable for Marmol’s return to the closer’s role, but Marshall and Kerry Wood should handle most of the save chances while he attempts to right himself.

Report: Nathan Eovaldi drawing interest from at least nine teams

Nathan Eovaldi
Getty Images
4 Comments

Former Red Sox right-hander Nathan Eovaldi is up for grabs this offseason, and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says that as many as nine suitors are interested in bringing the righty aboard. While the Red Sox are eager to retain Eovaldi’s services after his lights-out performance during their recent postseason run, they’ll have to contend with the Brewers, Phillies, Braves, White Sox, Padres, Blue Jays, Giants, and Angels — all of whom are reportedly positioned to offer something for the starter this winter.

It wasn’t all smooth sailing for the 28-year-old in 2018, however. After losing his 2017 season to Tommy John surgery, he underwent an additional procedure to remove loose bodies from his right elbow in March and didn’t make his first appearance until the end of May. He was flipped for lefty reliever Jalen Beeks just prior to the trade deadline and finished his season with a combined 6-7 record in 21 starts, a 3.81 ERA, 1.6 BB/9, and 8.2 SO/9 through 111 innings.

Despite his numerous health issues over the last few years, Eovaldi raised his stock in October after becoming a major contributor during the Red Sox’ championship run. He contributed two quality starts in the ALDS and ALCS and returned in Games 1-3 of the World Series with three lights-out performances in relief — including a six-inning effort in the 18-inning marathon that was Game 3.

A frontrunner has yet to emerge for the righty this offseason, but Cafardo points out that the nine teams listed so far might just be the tip of the iceberg. Still, he won’t be the most sought-after starter on the market, as former Diamondbacks southpaw Patrick Corbin is expected to command an even bigger payday following his career-best 6.0-fWAR performance in 2018.