The world will not end if Francisco Rodriguez’s option vests

4 Comments

We’ve all known for over a year now that the Mets weren’t going to want to be on the hook for Francisco Rodriguez’s $17.5 million option for 2012.  They would have given him away to be out from under it.  As is, they had to pay the Brewers almost $6 million just to get a couple of middling prospects in return for K-Rod.

And as soon as the Brewers picked him up, we knew they had no intention of allowing Rodriguez to get the 21 games finished he’d need during the second half to guarantee that option.  No one wants to spend $17.5 million on a closer.

That said, this isn’t armageddon.  If the Brewers lose John Axford to injury, they need to go ahead and let Rodriguez close.  It’s not a decision that would cost them $17.5 million.

As part of the trade, the Mets picked up the nearly $6 million of the $8.4 million owed to Rodriguez.  $4.9 million of the $8.4 million of that is the remainder of his $11.5 million salary for 2011.  The rest is a $3.5 million buyout attached to Rodriguez’s $17.5 million option.

So, really, that makes the option worth $14 million, since the $3.5 million is spoken for anyway.  And there’s going to be at least one team out there willing to take on Rodriguez as a $9 million-$10 million closer this winter.  The only way that wouldn’t be the case is if Rodriguez gets hurt and finishes the season on the DL, and there is a clause in his contract that voids the ability of the option to vest in the event of an injury.

The way I see it, pretty much the worst-case scenario here is that the Brewers have to eat $5 million in the event of the option becoming guaranteed.  That’s not nothing, but it’s not going to kill a team with a payroll in the $90 million range.  Most likely, the Brewers won’t have to deal with it anyway.

John Gibbons will close out the year as Blue Jays skipper

John Gibbons
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons is slated to remain with the club through the end of the 2018 season, general manager Ross Atkins told reporters on Friday. The news follows a report from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, who cast some doubt on the veteran skipper’s future with the team several weeks ago when he said the Jays “seem destined to move on from John Gibbons.”

While it appears Gibbons’ job is safe for the next six weeks, that’s not saying much — especially as the club currently sits 30.5 games back of the division lead and will prepare to continue restructuring a sub-.500 roster come fall. As recently as last week, he hinted that he wasn’t feeling particularly eager to oversee a full rebuild. Per Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun:

Truthfully, a full breakdown, you know I have to admit I don’t know if I’m interested in that,” Gibbons said prior to Friday’s 7-0 blowout loss to the Tampa Rays. “But we’ll see. I’m still here. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

Over 11 cumulative seasons from 2004-2008 and 2013-2018, the 56-year-old manager has guided the team to a winning record just five times, most recently when they earned back-to-back playoff appearances in 2015 and 2016. He still has another year remaining on his contract, which was recently lengthened to include the 2018 and 2019 seasons and includes an option for 2020 as well.

Atkins also revealed that the club is prepared to reevaluate Gibbons’ role during the offseason, though it’s not yet clear whether they intend to keep him on for the next two years as originally planned, reassign him to another role within the organization, or terminate his agreement with the team altogether.