You’ll recall that Florida International University baseball star Garrett Wittels and two friends had rape charges filed against them in the Bahamas last year. Well, that’s over: they’ve been dropped:
Authorities decided the evidence didn’t support prosecution. The three young men, represented in the Bahamas by Thomas Evans and present in court Monday, were accused in December of sexual assault at Nassau’s Atlantis resort by two 17-year-old girls … The defendants never denied having sex with the young women. Security camera footage appeared to contradict what the women told Bahamian authorities.
Wittels’ lawyer says it was a shakedown scheme. I have no idea if that’s true, but if it was, it was a misguided one: despite his famous 56-game hitting streak last season, Wittels went undrafted in all 50 rounds of this year’s draft, so it’s not like he has big money in his future.
Either way, as is almost always the case, the dropping of the charges will be publicized about on-tenth of the amount the charges themselves were publicized, but such is the way our media works.