Ned Colletti: players use disabled list as “a couple weeks’ vacation”

22 Comments

Ned Colletti was on KABC radio in Los Angeles yesterday, and seemed to question the legitimacy of some Dodgers’ players recent trips to the disabled list:

“Sometimes you wonder what the thought process is too. The disabled list used to be some place a player never wanted to go. And now it might be a safe haven, it might be a couple of weeks’ vacation. You just hope everybody is doing everything they can to get back and play.”

He walked the comments back in the Los Angeles times, saying that, however those words came out, it wasn’t his intent to call anyone out.

I suppose tone mattered here: Colletti said the comment was made in jest, and if there was in fact some comic exasperation at the Dodgers’ injury woes here, it’s a pretty nothing comment. If he was a bit more serious, maybe it’s one of those Kinsley gaffes where a public figure actually — accidentally! — revealed what he was thinking instead of providing the politically or corporately-approved line. Which we simply cannot have.

Of course, Colletti isn’t the first person to suggest that players need and/or use the disabled list for simple rest. You’ll recall that Jayson Stark spoke to an anonymous general manager a few weeks ago who suggested that “players just couldn’t handle” the 162-game season and used the disabled list as a means of escape.

So: is Ned Colletti the anonymous GM, or is he simply saying here what a lot of people inside baseball think about the disabled list?

Scooter Gennett to undergo MRI after injury

Scooter Gennett
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.

Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.

The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.