Paul Konerko remains sidelined following minor wrist surgery

1 Comment

White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko had a loose bone fragment removed from his left wrist Friday afternoon during a minor surgical procedure.

He’s not going to be placed on the disabled list, but the veteran is again out of the Pale Hose starting lineup Saturday against the Tigers and could rest up during Sunday’s series finale as well.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen spoke about Konerko with Scot Gregor of the Arlington Heights Daily Herald before first pitch Saturday:

“I don’t expect him to play tomorrow,” Guillen said. “If he comes out and says he’s ready to play, that’s a plus.”

Konerko, 35, is batting .310/.381/.516 this year with 12 home runs and 44 RBI through his first 57 games. He’s been one of the few consistent offensive contributors this season on the south side of Chicago.

Report: Yankees J.A. Happ, closing in on a three-year deal

Getty Images
4 Comments

UPDATE: Rosenthal is now walking the report back a bit, saying that indications that the Yankees and Happ are close to a deal but that it is not yet done.

10:29 AM: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Yankees and J.A. Happ have come to terms on a three-year deal. The agreement is pending a physical. The financial terms are not yet known.

Happ just turned 36, but he has been effective enough to warrant a three-year commitment. The Yankees know this as well as anyone, having acquired him last year and watched him post a 7-0 record and a 2.69 ERA in 11 starts in New York. For the entire season he was 17-6 with a 3.65 ERA and a K/BB ratio of 193/51 in 177.2 innings between the Yankees and the Blue Jays.

With Happ back in the fold, the Yankees rotation now consists of Luis Severino, James Paxton, Happ, Masahiro Tanaka and CC Sabathia, not necessarily in that order. A good group, assuming it stays healthy.