Adam Dunn finally got a hit against a southpaw last night

2 Comments

It wasn’t pretty, but it happened.

Adam Dunn wasn’t even in the original starting lineup for last night’s game against the Tigers, as he was expected to sit against left-hander Andy Oliver, but he ended up being a last-minute replacement for Paul Konerko, who underwent a minor wrist procedure earlier in the day.

The high-priced slugger entered Friday’s action hitless over his first 38 at-bats against left-handed pitching this season. He fouled out in the second inning and grounded out in the third to extend his hitless streak to 40 at-bats. In his third at-bat in the fifth inning, Dunn faced left-hander Charlie Furbush, who entered the game in relief of Oliver in the bottom of the fourth inning. Then the magic happened.

Dunn was jammed pretty badly and punched one out between first and second base. Miguel Cabrera fielded the ball cleanly, but Dunn was able to beat Furbush to the first base bag.

Yes, Adam Dunn’s first hit against a left-hander this season will go down in the history books as an infield single. Hey, it counts. As he told Sahadev Sharma of ESPNChicago.com, it’s a moment he will never forget.

“It was awesome,” Dunn said, jokingly. “Really one of my career highlights.”

Dunn, who signed a four-year, $56 million contract with the White Sox this winter, is batting .182/.327/.324 over his first 217 plate appearances this season. He leads the American League with 72 strikeouts. It can only get better from here.

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna could “draw a significant ban” for assault allegations

Mitchell Layton/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna was arrested in Toronto back on May 8 on charges of assault against a woman and he has been on MLB’s administrative leave list ever since — that leave having been extended twice already.

Canadian authorities aren’t revealing any details about the case so as to protect the identity of the accuser and it’s unclear where MLB’s investigation into the matter stands at this point, but Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports opens his latest column with this note …

Toronto Blue Jays star closer Roberto Osuna’s domestic issue is said by people familiar with the case to be serious and involve allegations of a physical nature, which would draw a significant ban.

Heyman notes that Major League Baseball handed 15-game suspensions to Jeurys Familia and Steven Wright for domestic assault cases where there was no physical abuse — or none proven — and that Aroldis Chapman got 30 games after a police report revealed that he did get physical with the victim and also fired a gun.

It sounds like Osuna could be facing a suspension of at least 20-25 games, given the precedent. Again, though, we don’t have any actual details.

Tyler Clippard has been operating as Toronto’s primary ninth-inning man in Osuna’s absence.