In some very distressing news, doctors from Duke University are “90 percent certain” that the tumors on Gary Carter’s brain are malignant.
The New York Daily News reports that an official diagnosis is expected next week after Carter underwent tests today.
Examined after dealing with headaches and forgetfulness of late, Carter was found to have four small brain tumors on May 21.
If the tumors are proven to be malignant, the 57-year-old Carter is expected to begin undergoing chemotherapy immediately.
“It was very hard for all of us to hear, as we have been hoping and praying that the tumors would be benign,” one of Carter’s daughters wrote on the family website. “Lots of tears have been shed in the hospital room today, and we are all a bit scared of the unknown.”
Carter, a Hall of Fame catcher who played for the Expos, Mets, Giants and Dodgers in 19 big-league seasons, retired in 1992.
“(The doctor) wants us all to team up and help Dad through the battle ahead,” Carter’s daughter wrote. “He said that this IS treatable and they will attack it with the same kind of vigor that Dad displayed on the baseball diamond!”
MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosh reports that the Cardinals are shutting down pitcher Carlos Martínez from throwing for two weeks because his shoulder strength isn’t where it should have been at this point. Langosch added that an MRI showed no structural damage in Martínez’s right shoulder.
Interestingly, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak didn’t sound too happy with Martínez offseason training regimen. Per Mark Saxon of The Athletic, Mozeliak said, “Obviously, there’s a history with Carlos’ shoulder and it would be probably in everybody’s best interest if he maintained a constant or perpetual approach to that program.”
Martínez, 27, battled oblique and shoulder injuries last year. He accrued just 118 2/3 innings, making just 18 starts. He was moved to the bullpen when he returned from the disabled list in August and finished out the season in that role. Still, Martínez managed a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts and 60 walks.
Langosch reported last week that the Cardinals were considering using Martínez in relief again in 2019. The latest news may push the Cardinals to indeed use Martínez out of the bullpen once again. He will be reevaluated in early March, but there is a chance he won’t be ready for Opening Day.