Adam LaRoche was diagnosed with a partially torn labrum back in spring training, but it turns out the damage is now much more extensive.
Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that LaRoche has a large tear in his labrum and a small tear in his rotator cuff. The plan is for him to rest for 2-3 weeks before being reevaluated. He doesn’t want to waste much time if he’s not making progress, so a decision about surgery could be made rather quickly.
“I love playing and I want to be out there with the guys, but I’m not selfish enough to stick it out the whole year and potentially miss next year,” LaRoche said. “We are going to give [the rehab] a shot.
“Hopefully a miracle happens so we can get it playable. If not, I’m not going to milk it here and hope for the best. If this doesn’t work, I’m pretty sure I’ll make the decision to get it fixed.”
The Nationals signed LaRoche over the winter to a two-year, $16 million contract with a $10 million mutual option for 2013. The 31-year-old first baseman is batting .172/.288/.258 with three home runs and 15 RBI over his first 177 at-bats this season. Entering Tuesday’s action, only Jonny Gomes had a lower batting average (.171) among qualified batters.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.