Cubs manager Mike Quade wasn’t very happy in the clubhouse after his team turned a four-run lead after six innings into a 7-4 loss to the Reds.
Here’s some of what he said:
That was embarrassing.That [stuff] has got to stop. And it’s everybody that was in that room for that meeting. Myself, the players and the coaching staff. It’s just not going to cut it right now. Nothing is [freaking] easy up here. You’ve got a nice 4-0 lead and “Z” is cruising and everything is hunky-dory. I’ve got news for you. It ain’t routine until the freaking thing is over. We’ve got to play that way. We’re not good enough to coast at all.
Anyone who can use the phrase “hunky-dory” in the same quote as the actual words represented by “[stuff]” and “[freaking]” is OK with me and I also appreciate Quade lumping himself and the coaching staff in with the criticism.
Quade went 24-13 after taking over for Lou Piniella last season, but so far this year the Cubs are just 17-22.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.