Frank McCourt could file for bankruptcy

9 Comments

Because the Dodgers situation isn’t complicated enough, it’s probably time to throw bankruptcy into the mix:

Major League Baseball is preparing for the possibility that Frank McCourt might take the Dodgers into bankruptcy court before the league could strip him of the team … The league is “looking hard” at that option, said a personal familiar with the matter but not authorized to comment publicly because of the potential for litigation.

In the article, Bill Shaikin talks to some bankruptcy experts who talk about what that could mean for MLB’s assumption of control over the team, Frank McCourt’s ownership interest and all of that. There’s not much in the way of consensus unless you count “man, this would really make things difficult” as a consensus.

With the all of the same “I know next to nothing about bankruptcy law” caveats I gave last year when the Rangers’ business was going down, it strikes me — and those quoted in Shaikin’s article — that a key inquiry in bankruptcy would be the Fox TV teal that McCourt claims is the key to the Dodgers well-being and which Major League Baseball is loathe to approve.

As far as that goes, I suppose it’s possible that a judge could say, yeah, that deal should happen. But (a) I’m not sure how an unconsummated deal can be an asset that a bankruptcy court could consider; and (b) even if it is, baseball could probably call a parade of experts to testify that the Dodgers could do way better on the TV side than what Fox is offering. And of course, Jamie McCourt has a stake here too, and nothing about her involvement would make this less, rather than more complicated.

All I keep telling myself here is that, however horrible this gets, at least it will forever serve as a lesson to Major League Baseball to not let litigious, greedy and cash poor nudnicks like the McCourts into the ownership club in the future.

Baseball is learning that lesson, right?

Texas Rangers ink free-agent ace Jacob deGrom to 5-year deal

Jacob deGrom
USA Today
0 Comments

ARLINGTON, Texas — Free-agent ace Jacob deGrom and the Texas Rangers agreed to a $185 million, five-year contract Friday.

The two-time Cy Young Award winner leaves the New York Mets after nine seasons – the past two shortened by injuries.

After making his first start last season in early August, deGrom went 5-4 with a 3.08 ERA in 11 outings. He helped the Mets reach the playoffs, then opted out of his contract to become a free agent.

Texas announced the signing Friday night after the 34-year-old deGrom passed his physical. A person with direct knowledge of the deal disclosed the financial terms to The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the club did not announce those details.

“We are thrilled that Jacob deGrom has decided to become a Texas Ranger,” executive vice president and general manager Chris Young said in a statement. “Over a number of seasons, Jacob has been a standout major league pitcher, and he gives us a dominant performer at the top of our rotation. One of our primary goals this offseason is to strengthen our starting pitching, and we are adding one of the best.”

Texas went 68-94 last season and then hired Bruce Bochy as its new manager. The Rangers’ six straight losing seasons are their worst skid since the franchise moved from Washington in 1972.

The Rangers were big spenders in free agency last offseason, signing Corey Seager ($325 million, 10 years) and second baseman Marcus Semien ($175 million, seven years).