Pedro Martinez could soon announce retirement

8 Comments

While reports last month indicated that he was interested to returning to the majors, perhaps with the Red Sox, Pedro Martinez said Sunday that he is leaning towards retirement.

“I keep active because I have not announced my retirement, because that is something that takes time and you have to plan it. Plus, it is something that the Dominican people expected,” Martinez said in an interview in his native Dominican Republic.

Martinez added that his comments last month about potentially pitching for the Red Sox this year were taken out of context.

“I did not mean I’m going to Boston,” he said.

Martinez, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, last pitched with the Phillies in 2009.  The future Hall of Famer is 219-100 with a 2.93 ERA in 18-big league seasons.

Report: Astros, Ryan Pressly close to agreement on two-year, $17.5 million extension

Tim Warner/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros and reliever Ryan Pressly are close to finalizing a two-year, $17.5 million contract extension, which will also include a third-year vesting club option. Rome notes that the extension is believed to be the largest, in terms of both total money and average annual value, for a reliever who is not a closer.

Pressly, 30, agreed to a $2.9 million salary for the 2019 season back in January, avoiding arbitration in his final year of eligibility. The Astros acquired Pressly from the Twins near the end of July in exchange for a pair of minor leaguers. Pressly posted a 3.40 ERA in 47 2/3 innings with the Twins and a 0.77 ERA in 23 1/3 innings with the Astros. In the playoffs, Pressly allowed just one run on one hit and three walks with seven strikeouts across five innings of work.

Along with Héctor Rondón, Pressly will once again help bridge the gap to closer Roberto Osuna.