Frank McCourt has first meeting with team monitor Tom Schieffer

2 Comments

According to the Associated Press, Dodgers owner Frank McCourt met Friday for the first time with Tom Schieffer, who was recently appointed by commissioner Bud Selig to oversee the team’s daily operations.

One of Schieffer’s first acts as “monitor” was to approve the team’s latest payroll. McCourt personally borrowed $30 million from FOX to meet payroll in April, which did not require approval from MLB. However, it’s not known if they’ll be able to meet payroll in May.

Schieffer, who was given an office at Dodger Stadium, told the Los Angeles Times that he assured Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti that he will operate normally and will only need his approval for an increase in the budget. In turn, Colletti told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that the Dodgers’ budget allows for moves similar to the ones they made at the last few trade deadlines. Yes, that means Colletti might have the chance to make more horrible trades like the Octavio Dotel for James McDonald and Andrew Lambo deal.

McCourt obviously isn’t thrilled with having Schieffer around and is still making his case to get MLB’s approval on a new television deal from FOX.

“I’m allowed here to run this business,” Frank McCourt said. “The judge has made that, he made that clear, and this deal is a great deal for the Dodgers. It’s ready to be signed. It’s ready to go and any questions about the Dodgers’ financial stability are solved simply by these documents.”

Meanwhile, Rob Manfred, MLB’s executive vice president for labor relations, said that they want to conduct a full investigation into the club and its finances before rendering a decision. And considering how much money McCourt could potentially be leaving on the table in this deal, it’s unlikely this will end well for him.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
20 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.