Jake Peavy to miss next scheduled rehab start

0 Comments

While an MRI Tuesday showed no major problems, Jake Peavy will miss his next rehab start after leaving Monday’s outing with what the White Sox are describing as muscle tenderness and irritation in his right shoulder.

Peavy, who is trying to make his way back from surgery to repair a detached lat muscle in his shoulder, threw just 15 pitches for Double-A Birmingham before exiting Monday’s game.  He’ll be on anti-inflammatories, and he won’t resume throwing until Friday.

“They told me it was good news,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told the AP. “Right now with the news we got, I feel a little bit better.”

If all goes as hoped, Peavy could resume working in the minors in about 10 days.

Update

And if all doesn’t go as hoped, at least the White Sox do have some protection. Sources told CSNChicago’s David Kaplan that the White Sox are covered by an insurance policy originally taken out by the Padres when they signed the right-hander to a three-year deal in 2009. The White Sox could be reimbursed about 65 percent of the $16 million he’ll make this year and the $17 million he’s set to earn in 2012 if he’s unable to pitch.

No lease extension, but O’s and governor tout partnership

orioles camden yards
Daniel Shirey/Getty Images
0 Comments

The Baltimore Orioles and Maryland Gov. Wes Moore announced a joint commitment to what they called a “multi-decade, public-private partnership” to revitalize the Camden Yards sports complex.

The statement from the team and the state’s new governor came Wednesday, the deadline for the Orioles to exercise a one-time, five-year extension to their lease at Camden Yards. The team was not planning to exercise that option, according to a person with knowledge of the decision. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the club hadn’t announced its decision.

With no extension, the lease is set to expire at the end of this year, but the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority can keep negotiating. Wednesday’s joint release seemed to be an attempt to calm any nerves in Baltimore about the team’s future.

“I am looking forward to continuing to collaborate with Governor Moore, his administration, and the Maryland Stadium Authority in order to bring to Baltimore the modern, sustainable, and electrifying sports and entertainment destination the state of Maryland deserves,” Orioles CEO John Angelos said.

“We greatly appreciate Governor Moore’s vision and commitment as we seize the tremendous opportunity to redefine the paradigm of what a Major League Baseball venue represents and thereby revitalize downtown Baltimore. It is my hope and expectation that, together with Governor Moore and the new members and new chairman of the MSA board, we can again fully realize the potential of Camden Yards to serve as a catalyst for Baltimore’s second renaissance.”

Republican Larry Hogan, the state’s previous governor, signed a bill last year increasing bond authorization for M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, and Camden Yards. The measure allowed borrowing of up to $600 million for each stadium.

“When Camden Yards opened 30 years ago, the Baltimore Orioles revolutionized baseball and set the bar for the fan experience,” Moore, a Democrat, said Wednesday. “We share the commitment of the Orioles organization to ensuring that the team is playing in a world-class facility at Camden Yards for decades to come and are excited to advance our public-private partnership.”

Angelos recently reaffirmed that the Orioles would stay in Baltimore, although he dressed down a reporter who asked for more clarity on the future of the team’s ownership situation. Angelos was sued last year by his brother Lou, who claimed John Angelos seized control of the Orioles at his expense.