UPDATE: Mets manager Terry Collins tells Adam Rubin of ESPN New York that Dillon Gee is projected to start Sunday’s game while Pat Misch will back up this afternoon’s starter D.J. Carrasco.
12:50 PM: According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Mets have placed Chris Young on the 15-day disabled list with right biceps tendinitis.
Young initially had his Friday start pushed back to Sunday, but appeared good to go after throwing a bullpen session Thursday. The Mets have another doubleheader this afternoon against the Braves, so there were ultimately some concerns that they would be short-handed in the bullpen if Young was forced to leave Sunday’s start due to injury.
Young hasn’t pitched a full season since 2007 due to a variety of injuries and signed with the Mets this offseason at a base salary of $1.1 million. He has a 1.46 ERA and 12/6 K/BB ratio over his first two starts this season.
The Mets have called up left-hander Pat Misch from Triple-A Buffalo to take his place on the active roster, though Sunday’s starter is still TBA.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.
Update, 3/23: Gennett has been diagnosed with a right groin strain and will miss 8-12 weeks in recovery, the Reds said Saturday. Per The Athletic’s C. Trent Rosecrans, José Peraza and José Iglesias will cover second base and shortstop, respectively, with Kyle Farmer staying on as a backup option. Senzel will remain in Triple-A and continue his development as a center fielder.