Chien-Ming Wang won’t be ready for the start of the season

2 Comments

That’s the most predictable headline of the spring so far, isn’t it?

Nationals manager Jim Riggleman told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post on Sunday that right-hander Chien-Ming Wang showed progress in a recent bullpen session but has no chance of breaking camp as a member of the club’s 25-man roster. He’s still recovering from that major shoulder surgery that he underwent back in mid-2009 and won’t be back to full health for several more weeks.

Here’s more from Riggleman, via the Post.

“For a starting pitcher, there’s no way we’ll get him stretched out,’ Riggleman said. “Until [pitching coach] Steve McCatty tells me there’s not only progress, but consistent progress for a couple progress for a couple weeks, then we’ll think about that. You can’t get too high or low about a bullpen session.”

With this winter’s $1 million contract included, the Nationals have now committed $3 million to Wang and been given exactly zero innings in return. He hasn’t pitched in a big league game since July 4, 2009.

Red Sox to activate Dustin Pedroia from disabled list on Friday

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
1 Comment

Manager Alex Cora said that second baseman Dustin Pedroia will be activated from the disabled list on Friday, Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe reports.

Pedroia, 34, had cartilage restoration surgery on his left knee in late October. He played in only 105 games last season, batting .293/.369/.392 with seven home runs and 62 RBI in 463 plate appearances. His offensive stats were his worst since an abnormally-bad 2014 campaign.

The 34-15 Red Sox have baseball’s best record. Eduardo Nunez has mostly been handling second base in Pedroia’s place, hitting a disappointing .243/.261/.361 in 177 trips to the plate. He has also, by most metrics, played subpar defense at the position, so getting Pedroia back will be a boon.