Carlos Beltran has not been shut down

Leave a comment

The Mets may have a new front office regime and a new manager, but their communication skills clearly haven’t improved from the Omar Minaya era.

New general manager Sandy Alderson told Joel Sherman of the New York Post on Tuesday that outfielder Carlos Beltran would be “shut down” for at least 4-5 days due to tendinitis in his left knee.

But he wasn’t shut down. Not at all, actually.

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Beltran went through a pretty normal spring workout on Wednesday in camp and told Mets skipper Terry Collins that his knee is already beginning to feel much better:

“He threw,” Collins informed ESPN New York. “He took some swings in the cage And he said his leg felt a lot better. He showed me a couple of things that he couldn’t do yesterday that he could do today. It was a pretty good day. As I told him, I’m looking forward to probably early next week to hopefully get him back in there.”

Perhaps Alderson meant that Beltran had been shut down from playing in Grapefruit League games, not shut down altogether. Either way, it sounds like the newly-named Mets right fielder is on the right track toward recovery from his left knee issues. He is still hoping to be ready for Opening Day.

Brayan Peña announces retirement

Jason Miller/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Catcher Brayan Peña announced his retirement on Monday evening via his Twitter account:

Peña, 36, signed a minor league contract with the Tigers in January but the club ended up going with catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia for their Triple-A roster.

Peña spent parts of 12 seasons in the majors with the Braves, Royals, Tigers, Reds, and Cardinals from 2005-16. He hit .259/.299/.351 in 1,950 plate appearances.

With his playing days behind him, Peña will transition into coaching. He will manage one of the Tigers’ Gulf Coast League teams, George Sipple of the Free Press reports.