Recently, when Hank Steinbrenner and Randy Levine starting slamming teams who took revenue sharing and referring to it as “welfare,” I suggested that Bud Selig may take issue with the comments. John Henry — who has himself slammed revenue sharing — admitted today that, yes, Bud Selig does take issue. And does so quite expensively:
Red Sox principal owner John Henry, in an interview on The Big Show, said that he was fined $500,000 by Major League Baseball for comments that he made about the sport’s current financial system. In late-2009, Henry told the Boston Globe that “seven chronically uncompetitive teams, five of whom have had baseball’s highest operating profits,” had received over $1 billion in revenue sharing money.
Harsh? Sure. But Bud Selig’s job is to keep the labor peace and keep the PR machine running smoothly. And as it has been pointed out in the past, the biggest threats to labor peace tend not to come from the owners battling the players, but the big owners battling the small owners. The last thing he needs or wants is for owners to do public battle over the system to which they agreed top be bound.
And while I’m guessing Selig’s fine doesn’t take this into account, part of that half million has to be the chutzpah tax. As in, it takes an awful lot of chutzpah for owners of the teams whose revenue and value have multiplied exponentially under this system to speak out as if the system were robbing them blind.
The Giants are finalizing a minor league deal for free agent outfielder Cameron Maybin, according to Andrew Baggarly and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. The team has not confirmed the signing, but it’s in keeping with their stated goal of adding more veteran presence and outfield options to their roster in advance of the 2019 season.
Maybin, 31, appeared in back-to-back gigs with the Marlins and Mariners in 2018. He slashed an underwhelming .249/.326/.336 with four home runs, 10 stolen bases (in 15 chances), a .662 OPS, and 0.5 fWAR through 384 plate appearances for the two clubs, a clear improvement over his totals in 2017 but still shy of the career numbers he posted with the Padres all the way back in 2011. It’s not only his offense that has tanked, but his speed and defense in center field, all of which he’ll try to improve as he jockeys for a roster spot in camp this month.
The Giants’ outfield has been largely depleted of any kind of consistent talent lately, especially taking into account the recent departures of Hunter Pence, Gregor Blanco, and Gorkys Hernández. Even with the acquisition of, say, All-Star right fielder Bryce Harper, there’s nothing standing in the way of Maybin and fellow veteran signee Gerardo Parra grabbing hold of full- or part-time roles this year, though they’ll need to outperform candidates like Chris Shaw, Steven Duggar, Drew Ferguson, Mac Williamson, Austin Slater, Craig Gentry, Mike Gerber, and others first.
In a previous report on Friday, Baggarly revealed that a “handshake understanding” had been established with several veteran players already this offseason, all but guaranteeing them regular starting opportunities over the course of the season. How those agreements will be affected by spring training performances remains to be seen, but at least for now, the Giants appear prepared to give their newest players a long leash as they try to get back on top in the NL West.