Chris Davis thinks the Rangers will probably trade him

3 Comments

The Rangers are going to start Mitch Moreland at first base in most of their games this season. He posted a decent .833 OPS, nine home runs and 25 RBI over 173 plate appearances last year and played pretty strong defense.

On days that Moreland doesn’t start, it’ll be either Michael Young or Mike Napoli manning the first base bag. Adrian Beltre, of course, will be covering third.

So, where does that leave 24-year-old infielder Chris Davis? A new team, maybe.

According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, David said Sunday in Rangers camp that he has come to terms with the fact that he might be traded this spring or at some point this summer.

“I have to come to terms with it,” said Davis. “I might not be with the Rangers my whole career or even this season. I understand that people look at me as a guy who has had some success and then struggled, that I might be a guy who they would view as being a ‘change of scenery,’ candidate. I want to be here. But if they move me, I don’t know that it would be a bad thing.”

Davis, 25 in March, has posted really good numbers in the minor leagues. Last season, he hit 14 home runs with a .903 OPS and 80 RBI in 444 plate appearances at the Triple-A level. In 2008, he slugged 23 homers in 77 games between Double-A and Triple-A.

The talent is there, but he’s never been able to put it all together in the big leagues. Maybe that would change in another uniform. He can play both corner infield spots and he is not even eligible for salary arbitration yet. The Rangers should find a good amount of trade interest if they really want to put him out on the market.

Marlins announce signing of Victor Victor Mesa, Victor Mesa, Jr.

Getty Images
2 Comments

The Miami Marlins have been stockpiling international bonus money of late and now that has paid off, as they just formally announced the signing of top international prospect Victor Victor Mesa.

They have also signed his brother, the less-regarded prospect Victor Mesa, Jr. It was, presumably, a package deal. Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Victor Victor, 22, will receive about $5.25 million while his 17-year-old brother gets a $1 million bonus.

Victor Victor was ranked as the No. 1 player in this year’s international signing class. He’s a plus outfield defender with a strong arm and he has serious wheels as well. He played for Matanzas in Cuba’s Serie Nacional when he was only 16 and was 3-for-7 with two doubles for Cuba during last year’s World Baseball Classic.

Victor Mesa Jr. is a switch-hitting outfielder with potential, but unlike his brother, he’s like to spend considerable time in the minors. Most scouts believe Victor Victor will debut with the Marlins as early as next season.

The Mesa brothers are the son of Victor Mesa, who played in Serie Nacional from the 1970’s into the 1990s and starred on the Cuban national team. He has also managed in Cuba, in Mexico and for Cuba’s 2017 World Baseball Classic team.