Famous people are lining up to not own the Mets

8 Comments

I guess it’s because it’s New York and everyone is bored, but there have been a plethora of reports — and calling them “reports” is actually an insult to the act of reporting — linking famous rich people and the Mets in the wake Wilpon’s announcement that he’s looking for minority owners.  There was the MLK III report. The de riguer Mark Cuban chatter. In recent days we’ve had people asking Mayor Bloomberg and Jerry Seinfeld to state their intentions.

Fun stuff, but we’re not likely to find the next Mets’ minority owner — or maybe majority owner — on the gossip pages.  The people with the kind of money to buy anything other than vanity stakes in major sports franchises are all beyond mere celebrity wealthy, and they’re not the type of people like Mayor Bloomberg — who is legitimately loaded — who live their lives publicly like this.  I mean, look around at baseball’s ownership ranks: most of these guys are people you never heard of before they became baseball owners.

I have some friends who work in finance and big business and they all have tales of big time movers with outrageous amounts of capital at their disposal, either personally or by virtue of being able to wrangle investors.  You haven’t heard of any of them.   Living out loud like big celebrities is anathema to the type of person who is able to conquer the business world. Or inherit their father’s conquests.  These types of people are only remarkable when they prove to be exceptions to this rule, such as the case of Mark Cuban.

The next owner of the Mets is gonna be someone familiar only to those who read every article in the Wall Street Journal.  That’s how big money — truly big money — operates.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.