The Red Sox’ offer surprised Carl Crawford

3 Comments

Carl Crawford recalls hearing about the Red Sox’ offer from his agent last month:

It was the night of Dec. 8, and Crawford was driving along one of Houston’s many freeways when he took a call from agent Brian Peters, who had received lucrative offers from both the Red Sox and the Angels and wanted to know where the All-Star left fielder preferred to play … “He told me the dollar amount,” Crawford said, “and I almost got into a wreck on the freeway.”

Call me crazy, but something tells me that the Red Sox could have bid a bit lower and still gotten Crawford.

Rangers don’t plan to make qualifying offer to Adrián Beltré

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
3 Comments

Rangers GM Jon Daniels said he doesn’t expect the club to make a $17.9 million qualifying offer to free agent third baseman Adrián Beltré, MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan reports. Daniels has been in touch with the 39-year-old, who may retire.

Beltré battled hip and hamstring issues throughout the past season, limiting him to 119 games. He hit .273/.328/.434 with 15 home runs and 65 RBI in 481 plate appearances. Going by adjusted OPS, his mark of 98 — 100 is average — was his lowest in a season since 2009 with the Mariners. Beltré’s career average is 116 and he put up a 132 in 2017 and 128 in ’16.

Beltré appears to have some stuff left in the tank. He may not be an All-Star-caliber player anymore, but he can still hit at an average level and he is still an above-average defender. It’s just a matter of his body holding up to allow him to do what he needs to do. If Beltré does decide to re-up with the Rangers for 2019, the club will be prepared to move Isiah Kiner-Falefa or Jurickson Profar over to the hot corner as they did in 2018 in the event Beltré gets bitten by the injury bug.