Alfredo Simon may have altered his gun after the shooting

15 Comments

While keeping in mind that the statements of prosecutors in high-profile criminal cases mere days after the event are often calculated to influence the potential jury pool and make the suspect seem as guilty as hell, this looks kinda bad for Alfredo Simon:

A Dominican prosecutor handling the case of Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon said Wednesday the “trigger-happy” pitcher might have changed the barrel of a gun he turned over to authorities as a way of disguising his involvement in a fatal New Year’s Dayshooting.

He says that the serial number on the weapon’s barrel does not match numbers on the rest of the gun, which suggests that Simon swapped the original barrel for another in between the shooting and the time the gun (and Simon) was taken into custody. Which, if true, means that those ballistics tests everyone was waiting on may mean nothing now.

I don’t think Simon is going anywhere anytime soon.

Cardinals shut down Carlos Martínez for two weeks due to shoulder issue

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
3 Comments

MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosh reports that the Cardinals are shutting down pitcher Carlos Martínez from throwing for two weeks because his shoulder strength isn’t where it should have been at this point. Langosch added that an MRI showed no structural damage in Martínez’s right shoulder.

Interestingly, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak didn’t sound too happy with Martínez offseason training regimen. Per Mark Saxon of The Athletic, Mozeliak said, “Obviously, there’s a history with Carlos’ shoulder and it would be probably in everybody’s best interest if he maintained a constant or perpetual approach to that program.”

Martínez, 27, battled oblique and shoulder injuries last year. He accrued just 118 2/3 innings, making just 18 starts. He was moved to the bullpen when he returned from the disabled list in August and finished out the season in that role. Still, Martínez managed a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts and 60 walks.

Langosch reported last week that the Cardinals were considering using Martínez in relief again in 2019. The latest news may push the Cardinals to indeed use Martínez out of the bullpen once again. He will be reevaluated in early March, but there is a chance he won’t be ready for Opening Day.