The most depressing baseball-related Christmas song ever

3 Comments

It’s actually kinda jumpy in a western swing sort of way, but this song by Canadian country singer Gord Bramford is mostly sad. Why? Because all the little boy in the video wants is a baseball glove autographed by Roy Halladay. The same Roy Halladay of whom he has a poster on the wall of his bedroom pictured in his Blue Jays uniform. This song came out about two weeks before Halladay was traded away to Philly last year, so all this kid got for Christmas was heartache. And Kyle Drabek.  Bamford and Halladay talk about the song over at MLB.com today.

Note to Bramford: re-do the song and change the lyric to “Ricky Romero.” Oh, and while you’re changing lyrics, get rid of that “mama wants a tummy tuck” line. It’s just awful. And based on the video, she doesn’t need one, even if the dad needs some freakin’ sensitivity training.

In other news, there is not a lot of baseball news on Christmas Eve.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

Mookie Betts could play second base in the World Series

Mookie Betts
Getty Images
1 Comment

The Red Sox have some tough decisions to make in advance of the World Series next week; namely, what to do with some of their hottest-hitting players once the series shifts to a National League park — and National League rules. During a press conference on Saturday, manager Alex Cora said he’d be open to the idea of starting All-Star right fielder Mookie Betts at second base when the club’s regular DH, J.D. Martinez, is forced to play the outfield during away games.

The Red Sox carry home field advantage through the Fall Classic, so Games 1 and 2 will be played at Fenway Park — as well as Games 6 and 7, should those become necessary. Depending on the outcome of NLCS Game 7 later tonight, World Series Games 3 through 5 will be played at Dodger Stadium or Miller Park. That’s when Betts might take over the keystone from Ian Kinsler and Brock Holt, both of whom have shared second base duties over the course of the 2018 postseason.

The idea isn’t without merit. Betts and Martinez comprise two of the team’s top talents at the plate and, should the Red Sox need to stave off elimination in Games 4 and 5, sitting either of them doesn’t make sense. The 26-year-old Betts led the team with a staggering .346/.438/.640 batting line, 32 home runs, 30 stolen bases, and career-best 10.4 fWAR over 614 PA, while Martinez posted some career totals of his own, slashing .330/.402/.629 with 43 home runs, a 1.031 OPS, and 5.9 fWAR in 649 PA. This wouldn’t be the first time Betts has taken reps at second, either, as he’s logged 15 games at the position over the course of his five-year career, most recently during a 4-1 win over the Yankees in August.

Whether or not Betts is considered a lock for all three games is another question, one to which Cora didn’t give a definite answer. “I don’t know, man,” the skipper told reporters Saturday. “[Betts] already played second during the regular season, so there’s always a chance, I guess.” He later added that while Betts would be taking ground balls at second, it’s part of the routine he’s maintained all year — so nothing should be read into it until a clear decision has been announced.