Most of this is already known, but it’s worth revisiting anyway.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com noted Thursday evening that Royals right-hander Zack Greinke can reject a move to 15 major league teams via a no-trade clause in his contract. (Got it)
The Yankees, Red Sox and Nationals are all on that list. (Got most of that, too)
The Rangers, Angels and Tigers, however, are not. (Some of that is new)
Greinke has expressed a strong desire to leave Kansas City, so none of this stuff might matter in the long run if he really wants to get out of town. But it’s safe to assume that the right-hander’s past anxiety issues have a lot to do with his decision to name cities like New York, Boston and D.C. on his no-trade list. Most young pitchers would eat up the idea of big city attention, but Greinke doesn’t seem to operate like most pitchers.
The market for the ace right-hander is expected to pick up in the next few weeks now that Cliff Lee is signed, sealed, delivered. A host of teams are interested, but it’s going to take a serious package of prospects to get a deal worked out.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com heard earlier this month that the Royals are looking for “up-the-middle” youngsters: shortstops, second basemen and center fielders. Kansas City already has a ton of pitching talent coming through the pipeline, along with a future stud catcher in Wil Myers, a future slugger in first baseman Eric Hosmer and a potential star third baseman in Mike Moustakas.
Let the bidding begin.
PITTSBURGH — The New York Mets will have to dig out of an early-season hole without star first baseman Pete Alonso.
The leading home run hitter in the majors will miss three-to-four weeks with a bone bruise and a sprain in his left wrist.
The Mets placed Alonso on the 10-day injured list Friday, retroactive to June 8. Alonso was hit in the wrist by a 96 mph fastball from Charlie Morton in the first inning of a 7-5 loss to Atlanta on Wednesday.
Alonso traveled to New York for testing on Thursday. X-rays revealed no broken bones, but the Mets will be missing one of the premier power hitters in the game as they try to work their way back into contention in the NL East.
“We got better news than it could have been,” New York manager Buck Showalter said. “So we take that as a positive. It could have been worse.”
New York had lost six straight heading into a three-game series at Pittsburgh that began Friday. Mark Canha started at first for the Mets in the opener. Mark Vientos could also be an option, though Showalter said the coaching staff may have to use its “imagination” in thinking of ways to get by without Alonso.
“I’m not going to say someone has to step up and all that stuff,” Showalter said. “You’ve just got to be who you are.”
Even with Alonso in the lineup, the Mets have struggled to score consistently. New York is 16th in the majors in runs scored.
The team also said Friday that reliever Edwin Uceta had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. Uceta initially went on the IL in April with what the team called a sprained left ankle. He is expected to be out for at least an additional eight weeks.
New York recalled infielder Luis Guillorme and left-handed reliever Zach Muckenhirn from Triple-A Syracuse. The Mets sent catcher Tomás Nido to Triple-A and designated reliever Stephen Nogosek for assignment.
Nogosek is 0-1 with a 5.63 ERA in 13 games this season.