Earlier this week the Diamondbacks were said to be on the verge of signing veteran catcher Henry Blanco and now Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona reports that they’ve come to terms on a one-year, $1 million contract.
Blanco will back up 27-year-old starter Miguel Montero and figures to get most of his starts subbing for the left-handed-hitting Montero versus left-handed pitching.
Blanco has never been much of a hitter and at age 39 his bat is pretty anemic at this point, but he can still shut down a running game after throwing out 11 of 22 steal attempts this year.
Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres will place outfielder Franchy Cordero on the 10-day disabled list and activate outfielder Hunter Renfroe from the DL on Monday.
Cordero, 23, has been slumping, batting .140 with four extra-base hits in 47 plate appearances dating back to May 11. The Padres noticed that the forearm issue has been affecting his swing in recent games. Manager Andy Green said, “It was something where he could swing a certain way to manage it. But swinging that way was not him.”
Renfroe, 26, has been out since mid-April due to inflammation in his right elbow. He hit .200/.281/.440 in 57 PA prior to landing on the disabled list. Renfroe played in 10 rehab games with Triple-A El Paso.