Mariners sign A’s castoff Jack Cust to one-year contract

3 Comments

Jack Cust was non-tendered by the A’s last week, but Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that he’ll remain in the AL West and sign a one-year contract with the Mariners worth $2.5 million in base salary.

Cust has seen his power numbers decline in three straight seasons, but he remains a walk machine who gets on base at a good clip despite low batting averages and tons of strikeouts.

Among all hitters with at least 400 plate appearances this year Cust ranked 10th in baseball with a .395 on-base percentage and his .834 OPS would’ve been the highest on the Mariners by nearly 100 points.

He’s a flawed player whose production has dipped a bit, but Cust is certainly a very solid designated hitter option on an inexpensive one-year commitment and the Mariners’ lineup can obviously use all the help it can get. He’ll likely hit under .250 in Seattle and the signing won’t look so good if Cust ends up seeing significant action in the field, but he’ll draw a ton of walks, post an OBP among the AL leaders, and smack 20-plus homers.

Cards’ Yadier Molina says he tested positive for COVID-19

Getty Images
8 Comments

St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina says he’s one of the players on the team who tested positive for COVID-19.

The nine-time All-Star revealed his results Tuesday in a Spanish-language Instagram post. Soon afterward, the Cardinals issued a release naming six of the players who have tested positive.

The others are infielders Paul DeJong, Edmundo Sosa and Rangel Ravelo along with pitchers Junior Fernandez and Kodi Whitley.

“I am saddened to have tested positive for COVID-19, even after adhering to safety guidelines that were put in place,” Molina said in a release issued by the team. “I will do everything within my power to return as soon as possible for Cardinals fans, the city of St. Louis and my teammates.”

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said Monday that seven players and six staff members had tested positive. At the time, Mozeliak said the people to test positive hadn’t been identified publicly because they had declined to have their names released.

The Cardinals said Tuesday that six players had decided to grant permission to have their names revealed.

“I will approach my healing as I do all other things in my life – with education, commitment, and persistence. I look forward to re-joining the team soon and ask that you respect my privacy at this time,” DeJong said in a statement released by the team.

The outbreak resulted in the postponement of the Cardinals’ scheduled three-game weekend series at Milwaukee as well as a four-game series with Detroit that was supposed to run Monday through Thursday. The Cardinals have played just five games this season and are hoping to return to action Friday hosting the Chicago Cubs.

As of now, the Cardinals who have tested positive have returned home while the rest of the team remains isolated in Milwaukee hotel rooms. Their last game was July 29 at Minnesota.

Mozeliak said Monday that five of the 13 overall members of the Cardinals’ traveling party to test positive were asymptomatic. The other eight had minor symptoms including headaches, coughs, sniffles and low-grade fevers. Mozeliak said none of the eight had required hospitalization.

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports