Prior to trading Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox the Padres were said to be fielding offers from several other teams, and now Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the White Sox finished runner-up with their offer.
According to Nightengale they were willing to trade “Gordon Beckham and prospects” for Gonzalez, but the Padres preferred the Red Sox’s all-prospect offer featuring Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, and Reymond Fuentes.
It’s tough to really judge Chicago’s offer without knowing the “and prospects” part, but it’s interesting just to note that the White Sox are willing to deal Beckham after previously making him semi-untouchable in blockbuster talks. His disappointing season no doubt caused his stock to decline in everyone’s eyes, but he’s still a 24-year-old former No. 8 overall pick who seemingly everyone was in love with this time last year.
So far he’s hit .260 with a .331 on-base percentage and .416 slugging percentage in 234 career games.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.
Update, 3/23: Gennett has been diagnosed with a right groin strain and will miss 8-12 weeks in recovery, the Reds said Saturday. Per The Athletic’s C. Trent Rosecrans, José Peraza and José Iglesias will cover second base and shortstop, respectively, with Kyle Farmer staying on as a backup option. Senzel will remain in Triple-A and continue his development as a center fielder.