Here’s Nats’ third baseman Ryan Zimmerman reflecting on Adam Dunn going to the Chisox:
“Knowing that we had one of the three top free agents on our team and we didn’t want to resign him, it’s frustrating for us as players. We’re not in the front office. We don’t make the decisions, and we don’t have to write the checks. But we’re getting to the point on our team where we’re supposed to wait it out, wait for the young guys, start doing some things and start making some moves. Not only are we ready for that, I think the fans are, as well. We’ve trusted the front office, and we still trust them. But we want to best possible team on the field … We’ve trusted their plan the whole time, and now it’s getting to that point where it’s time to do some things. We know we have a good young team, but we need a few pieces. Obviously, you’re not going to do all that in one season, but you can add a piece here and add a piece there.”
You can’t sign everyone, but I can’t for the life of me see why the Nats weren’t more interested in keeping Adam Dunn. He seemed totally amenable to an extension last summer, and it would have been cheaper than the $56 million he’s taking from the Sox. Olney says that he may have gone three-years, $30 million. Even if it was a bit higher, that’s still a bargain. At the very least they could have dealt him at the deadline and gotten some value for him.
Instead he’s walking for picks and the star young slugger is openly questioning the direction of the team. Just remember this when Zimmerman leaves via free agency in a couple of years and the Nats wonder why he won’t engage them in serious negotiations.
Former Red Sox first baseman Hanley Ramirez is reportedly being “eyed” in an ongoing federal and state investigation, per Michele McPhee of ABC News. McPhee did not elaborate on the exact nature of the investigation itself, but provided a few more details during an interview with 98.5 The Sports Hub on Friday:
“Obviously, I know absolutely nothing about sports or Hanley Ramirez’s stats, but what I do know is crime,” McPhee said. “And there has been some reports about a FaceTime phone call that was made between a man during a car stop. After that car stop, police recovered a significant amount of drugs. And during that car stop, the suspect claimed that one of the items found in the vehicle belonged to Hanley Ramirez and then FaceTimed [Ramirez] in front of police. And that car stop coordinated with the timing of his release from the Red Sox.”
McPhee further clarified that she thinks the suspect — who was reportedly transporting 435 grams of fentanyl and a “large amount” of crack cocaine — was tied to “a sweeping federal case involving a substantial ring that’s being operated out of Lawrence, Massachusetts.”
Ramirez, the Red Sox, and Major League Baseball have all denied knowledge of any current investigation. According to the Boston Globe’s Alex Speier, Red Sox VP of media relations Kevin Gregg insisted that Ramirez had been dropped from the team for baseball reasons alone and had not been made aware of an investigation at the time of his release.
“Hanley has no knowledge of any of the allegations contained in this media report and he is not aware of any investigation,” the infielder’s agent, Adam Katz, added Friday.
The 34-year-old Ramirez was designated for assignment on May 25 and became a free agent on June 1. Prior to his release, he batted .254/.313/.395 over 195 plate appearances, 302 shy of the 497-PA threshold he would have needed to cross in order to activate his vesting option for 2019. He’s still owed the remainder of his $22 million salary for 2018.