Major League Baseball continues to keep the Athletics in limbo

11 Comments

We’re pushing two years since baseball said it was “studying” the issue of where the Athletics should play.  Could they find a way around the Giants’ territorial rights in San Jose? Is Oakland, in fact, a viable home for the A’s going forward?  We don’t know!  Because apparently doing some basic economic studies, looking at publicly-available data and having some tough meetings with the owners of the Giants is more complex than the Manhattan Project. Either that or baseball is just sitting on this, hoping the problem solves itself while the A’s fan base continues to become more disillusioned. And to shrink.

Baseball’s inaction is causing more concrete problems too. For example, San Jose had until this past Tuesday to put a stadium initiative on the spring ballot, but that deadline came and went because no one in San Jose wants to stake their political capital on a campaign that baseball could doom by inaction or by choosing Oakland.

At the same time, Oakland stepped up with an actual stadium proposal and a public hearing on the matter the other night that has reignited interest on the part of some Oakland fans. However, the step needed to make the ballpark an actual possibility — and environmental impact assessment — is likely to be put on hold. Why? Because Oakland officials wisely are loathe to spend millions on such a study if baseball is unwilling to commit to the A’s staying in town.

Mr. Selig: get on with it. Your continued inaction on the matter of the Athletics’ future is killing the team. If no deal can be cut with the Giants, pull the plug on Lew Wolff’s designs on San Jose. If Oakland is truly not a viable market for the A’s, say so and do what is necessary to forge a compromise on territorial rights.  You’re supposed to be the leader of this sport. Friggin’ lead for once, will ya?

Royals sign Drew Storen to minor league deal

Drew Storen
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Royals are in agreement with right-handed reliever Drew Storen on a minor league deal, the team announced Friday. Per Jon Heyman of MLB Network, the deal is worth $1.25 million if the veteran righty breaks camp with the club this spring. Additional, albeit unspecified incentives will be included in the contract as well.

Storen, 31, is coming off of a protracted absence from any MLB duties. After inking a one-year deal with the Reds in 2017, he sustained a right elbow sprain toward the end of the year and underwent Tommy John surgery that October. He was effectively decommissioned for the club’s entire 2018 run and generated little interest around the league this winter, perhaps due in part to the uninspired 4.45 ERA, 3.8 BB/9, 7.9 SO/9, and career-low -0.2 fWAR he posted across 54 2/3 innings during his last healthy season.

While it’s not immediately clear what kind of performance the Royals can expect from Storen in spring training, they’re not exactly in a position to be choosy. Their bullpen ranked dead last among all MLB teams with a collective 5.04 ERA, 4.85 FIP, and -2.2 fWAR last year, and still appears to be in a state of flux as they approach Opening Day. Skipper Ned Yost told reporters Wednesday that he intends to eschew the traditional closer appointment in 2019 and will instead utilize a combination of right-handers Wily Peralta and Brad Boxberger, lefty Tim Hill, and various others as he tackles high-leverage situations in the future.