Shaughnessy: The Red Sox should give Jeter $60 million

27 Comments

Last week a few people had some fun on Twitter suggesting that the Red Sox — in the interests of promoting chaos — should make Jeter an offer. Pete Abraham mentioned it. I did. Some others too.  It was mildly chuckle-worthy during a slow week. Today, however, Dan Shaugnessy shows us that not every little clever zinger on Twitter is worthy of its own column:

There is simply no downside to making Jeter a massive offer. In the worst-case scenario he calls your bluff and you get the Yankees captain. I don’t care if Jeter is way past his prime or if the Sox would have to wildly overpay a player of his diminished skills.

I say offer him the world. Forget about Jayson Werth. Blow Jeter away with dollars and years. At worst this would just mean the Sox would jack up the final price the Yankees must pay. It could be sort of like Mark Teixeira-in-reverse. And if Jeter actually signed with Boston, the damage to the Yankees’ psyche would be inestimable.

Shaughnessy says the Sox should offer Jeter three years at $20 million per.  And I think he’s quite serious. $60 million to “damage the Yankees’ psyche.”  No discussion whatsoever of what having Derek Jeter as the starting shortstop at that salary would mean to, you know, the competitive position of the Red Sox for the next three years. No apparent understanding that, unlike Shaughnessy himself, the people who run the Red Sox these days don’t think of the world as an epic Yankees-Red Sox battle in which sense and reason is discarded. No actual baseball analysis at all.  It’s pure red meat for the “screw the Yankees” crowd.

Which is fine on some level because I know this is sports, and sports shouldn’t always be sober and serious.  But this is the sort of thing that you have to keep in mind when Shaughnessy and others who peddle this stuff turn around and demand that they themselves be taken seriously.

Clayton Kershaw might return to the Dodgers’ rotation next week

AP Images
Leave a comment

Dodgers southpaw Clayton Kershaw is nearing his return to the mound, according to club manager Dave Roberts. Both Kershaw (left biceps tendinitis) and fellow lefty Rich Hill (left middle finger blister) are scheduled to toss simulated games on Saturday; depending on the outcome, Roberts says Kershaw could forgo a minor league assignment and slot back into the rotation by Thursday.

Kershaw, 30, was diagnosed with biceps tendinitis as the team closed out their Mexico Series at the start of the month. He has not made a start in several weeks, but was finally able to resume throwing on Sunday and managed to get through two successful bullpen sessions. Though Dodgers’ ace hasn’t been completely injury-free over his 11-year career in the majors, this is the first significant issue he’s had with his pitching arm so far. The team is expected to take every precaution with the lefty, and will likely limit him to just four innings during Saturday’s simulated game.

Prior to his injury, Kershaw was working on another dominant run with the club, sporting a 2.86 ERA, 2.0 BB/9 and 9.8 SO/9 through his first 44 innings of the season. While Kershaw, Hill and left-handed starter Hyun-Jin Ryu served their respective terms on the disabled list this month, the Dodgers utilized a combination of relievers Ross Stripling and Brock Stewart, both of whom impressed during their limited time in the rotation.