UPDATE: Final word on this for the night. Tracy Ringolsby hears that Tulowitzki will receive $157.75 million over the length of the contract. This includes $23.75 million for the final three guaranteed years remaining on his current deal, his $15 million option for 2014 and $119 million for six new years.
10:35 PM: According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the six-year extension is “believed to be worth” $120 million, bringing the entire package to around $160 million.
10:05 PM: We thought Cliff Lee or Carl Crawford would sign the biggest deal of the winter, but it turns out that honor may go to Troy Tulowitzki.
According to a report first passed along by Keith Law of ESPN.com and confirmed by Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Rockies are nearing a contract extension with Tulowitzki that may be for as long as ten years.
Tulowitzki, who turned 26 last month, is in the middle of a six-year, $31 million contract that runs through 2013 and includes a $15 million club option for 2014. According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Rockies would pick up the option in the new deal and add six years to the contract.
Tulowtizki batted .315/.381/.568 with 27 homers, 95 RBI and a 949 OPS this past season while winning his first Gold Glove and being named to the All-Star team for the first time. The reported extension would take Tulowitzki through his age-35 season and quite possibly top Todd Helton’s nine-year, $141.5 million deal as the richest in franchise history. Stay tuned.
The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.
However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”
Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.
Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.
Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.
No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.