UPDATE: the Red Sox deny a $52 million ceiling for Beltre

8 Comments

UPDATE:  This morning the Boston Globe reported that the Red Sox would not offer Adrian Beltre in excess of four years, $52 million.  Theo Epstein has now denied that report to the Globe.

This is one of those “who knows?” things. I mean, sure, you have to take Epstein at face value because that’s the best information we have right now.  But, it’s worth noting, if the Red Sox had made a determination of an offer ceiling, it’s not like they’d confirm it publicly.  Ahh, rumor season.

8:59 A.M.: That’s what Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is saying anyway.

Am I nuts in thinking that there is no way someone doesn’t beat that?  The Angles and Giants spring to mind. Several other teams would likely want to get in on that action too. I mean, sure, he’ll be 32 next season, and maybe he’s “worth” that in some abstract sense. But the market isn’t an abstract sense, and he’s a pretty unique property this winter. He’s also a Boras client.

I think that offer gets topped. With all respect to Cafardo’s source, maybe even by the Red Sox.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.