Agent expects Ricky Nolasco to sign extension with Marlins, but “nothing’s going to happen soon”

1 Comment

Last month agent Matt Sosnick revealed that Ricky Nolasco and the Marlins were “about 20 percent” apart in contract extension negotiations and today he told Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald that he “would be surprised if something didn’t end up happening.”

Sosnick explained that “we have had some conversations and I think we’ve made some progress” while also cautioning that “certainly nothing’s going to happen soon.”

Florida is shopping Dan Uggla after the second baseman turned down a four-year, $48 million extension offer, but the Marlins were able to sign another Sosnick client, Josh Johnson, to a long-term deal and are reportedly close to giving John Buck a three-year pact worth around $15 million.

We have had some conversations and I think we’ve made some progress

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2010/11/josh-johnson-xxx-in-nl-cy-young-voting.html#ixzz15Tgx98gp

Padres to place Franchy Cordero on DL, activate Hunter Renfroe

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres will place outfielder Franchy Cordero on the 10-day disabled list and activate outfielder Hunter Renfroe from the DL on Monday.

Cordero, 23, has been slumping, batting .140 with four extra-base hits in 47 plate appearances dating back to May 11. The Padres noticed that the forearm issue has been affecting his swing in recent games. Manager Andy Green said, “It was something where he could swing a certain way to manage it. But swinging that way was not him.”

Renfroe, 26, has been out since mid-April due to inflammation in his right elbow. He hit .200/.281/.440 in 57 PA prior to landing on the disabled list. Renfroe played in 10 rehab games with Triple-A El Paso.