2008 first overall pick Tim Beckham becomes a long shot

2 Comments

As the St. Petersburg Times’ Marc Topkin points out here, the first overall pick in the 2008 draft, Tim Beckham, was left off Baseball America’s list of the Rays’ top 10 prospects when it was announced last week.

Beckham, a shortstop taken out of a Georgia high school, was ranked by BA as the Rays’ No. 2 prospect behind David Price headed into 2009 and the team’s No. 6 prospect a year ago.    As a 20-year-old, he hit .256/.346/.359 for high-A Charlotte in the Florida State League last season.

The Rays have traditionally had strong prospect lists, and they have a few more outstanding youngsters coming along in pitchers Jeremy Hellickson and Matt Moore and outfielder Desmond Jennings.  Still, their second five is nothing special at the moment and it says something that Beckham and all of his tools can’t crack the list.

Beckhan has managed to hold his own while being among the youngest players in his leagues, but he hasn’t excelled at any point since being drafted.   There’s still good reason to think that he’ll develop 20-homer power as he matures.  However, it doesn’t seem likely that he’ll last at shortstop and he’d have to get a whole lot better offensively in order to make it as a corner outfielder.   Third base could be another option for him, but not with the Rays.

With fellow 2008 top-five picks Buster Posey, Brian Matusz and Pedro Alvarez all showing a lot of promise as rookies last season, the Rays appear to have made a costly misfire.   But that’s the gamble they made by taking a chance on the raw talent.  Unlike with the Padres and Matt Bush years earlier, this wasn’t a case of the Rays going with an overdraft in an attempt so save money.   The team thought it was pretty well set at catcher and third base with Dioner Navarro and Evan Longoria, and Beckham was given pretty much the same bonus that Posey and Alvarez received.

Red Sox shut down David Price for remainder of season

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox manager Alex Cora said that starter David Price has been shut down for the remainder of the season during Wednesday’s appearance on WEEI’s Ordway, Merloni, and Fauria.

Price, 34, missed nearly a month between August 5-31 with a wrist injury (TFCC cyst). He returned on September 1, but lasted only two innings against the Angels and hasn’t pitched since.

Price ends a disappointing 2019 season with a 4.28 ERA and a 128/32 K/BB ratio in 107 1/3 innings across 22 starts. He’ll enter the fifth year of his seven-year, $217 million contract in 2020. $96 million remains on the deal.