Uggla says long-term agreement with Marlins is ‘reachable’

3 Comments

Dan Uggla rejected a four-year, $48 million contract extension proposal from the Marlins last week.  But he’s not done negotiating.

According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, the arbitration-eligible second baseman told reporters Thursday that believes a long-term deal is “reachable” and that the two sides “can close the gap” before salary arbitration proceedings get underway.

Uggla has slugged at least 30 home runs in each of the last four seasons and finished with a quality .287/.369/.508 batting line and a team-leading 105 RBI in 159 games for the Marlins this past year.

He has poor range at second base, but the Fish are aiming to be immediately competitive when they move into their new baseball-only stadium in 2012 and losing the power-hitting Uggla would mean a major blow to that plan.

If it takes a six-year contract worth closer to $60 million, the Marlins should open their purse strings.

Chris Paddack loses no-hit bid in eighth inning vs. Marlins

Eric Espada/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Update (9:16 PM ET): Aaaaaand it’s over. Just like that. Starlin Castro led off the eighth inning with a solo home run to left field. That ends the shutout bid as well, obviously.

*

Padres starter Chris Paddack has kept the Marlins hitless through seven innings on Wednesday evening in Miami. The right-hander has allowed two base runners on a throwing error and a walk while striking out seven on 82 pitches.

The Padres’ offense provided Paddack with three runs of support, all coming in the fourth on Greg Garcia‘s RBI single and a two-run home run by Austin Hedges.

Paddack, 23, entered Wednesday’s start carrying a 2.84 ERA with an 87/18 K/BB ratio across 82 1/3 innings in his rookie campaign.

Among all 30 teams, the Padres are the only one without a no-hitter. They came into the league in 1969. The Marlins were last victims of a no-hitter on September 28, 2014 when Jordan Zimmermann — then with the Nationals — accomplished the feat.