Giants’ beat writer Hank Schulman spoke with Brian Sabean. Pablo Sandoval came up. Schulman says that, according to Sabean, “Panda starts next year in minors if he doesnt get his act together.”
I’m assuming this is primarily about his conditioning, which many felt was responsible for his pretty terrible 2010 season. Conditioning so poor that a guy who was supposed to be a key component for the Giants was a complete non-factor in the postseason and watched from the bench as his teammates won it all. And he capped that off by being photographed as he prepared to dig in to a giant Buca di Beppo sundae. Which isn’t exactly a great moment in messaging.
Last year the Giants’ offseason was dominated by talk of “Camp Panda,” the team’s effort to get Sandoval into shape. That obviously didn’t work, because he looked as big as Peterbilt once spring training came around and it only got worse after that. This winter, I suspect, that they won’t consider Sandoval’s condition to be their primary responsibility Because, quite frankly, they’ve shown that they don’t need him in order to win. It’s gonna be up to him to decide if he wants to be around for more winning.
If he fails? Big trouble for Sandoval. Because there ain’t no Bucca di Beppo in Fresno.
PITTSBURGH — The New York Mets will have to dig out of an early-season hole without star first baseman Pete Alonso.
The leading home run hitter in the majors will miss three-to-four weeks with a bone bruise and a sprain in his left wrist.
The Mets placed Alonso on the 10-day injured list Friday, retroactive to June 8. Alonso was hit in the wrist by a 96 mph fastball from Charlie Morton in the first inning of a 7-5 loss to Atlanta on Wednesday.
Alonso traveled to New York for testing on Thursday. X-rays revealed no broken bones, but the Mets will be missing one of the premier power hitters in the game as they try to work their way back into contention in the NL East.
“We got better news than it could have been,” New York manager Buck Showalter said. “So we take that as a positive. It could have been worse.”
New York had lost six straight heading into a three-game series at Pittsburgh that began Friday. Mark Canha started at first for the Mets in the opener. Mark Vientos could also be an option, though Showalter said the coaching staff may have to use its “imagination” in thinking of ways to get by without Alonso.
“I’m not going to say someone has to step up and all that stuff,” Showalter said. “You’ve just got to be who you are.”
Even with Alonso in the lineup, the Mets have struggled to score consistently. New York is 16th in the majors in runs scored.
The team also said Friday that reliever Edwin Uceta had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. Uceta initially went on the IL in April with what the team called a sprained left ankle. He is expected to be out for at least an additional eight weeks.
New York recalled infielder Luis Guillorme and left-handed reliever Zach Muckenhirn from Triple-A Syracuse. The Mets sent catcher Tomás Nido to Triple-A and designated reliever Stephen Nogosek for assignment.
Nogosek is 0-1 with a 5.63 ERA in 13 games this season.