Ken Rosenthal reports that Bonson Arroyo’s $11 million option has been exercised by the Reds. He also says that Walt Jocketty wouldn’t mind tearing that up and negotiating a long term deal.
If, two years ago, you would have asked me for any one prediction about the winter of 2010-11, it would have been that Arroyo would hit free agency. While he has been a good pitcher his entire time with the Reds, that $11 million seemed awfully big, and the Reds’ chances of being in the competitive position to justify paying a pitcher that kind of money seemed awfully small. But time marches on. Inflation happens. Teams improve. And, more than anything else, people come to realize just how special a pitcher who can throw 200+ above average innings year-in, year-out really is in this day and age.
And that’s what Arroyo has done. He went 17-10 in 2010, with a 3.88 ERA in 215 innings. His strikeouts are down from past levels, his walk rate is pretty steady, and overall he’s not quite what he was a couple of years ago, but he takes the ball every fifth day, and that’s worth 11 million bucks in 2011.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.