Sammy Sosa’s former Cubs teammate Mike Remlinger somehow got his hands on the slugger’s corked bat from 2003 and put it up for auction, but Fred Mitchell of the Chicago Tribune reports that the item went unsold last night when the high bid of $14,407 did not meet Remlinger’s “reserve” price.
Grant DePorter, who’s the CEO of Harry Caray’s Restaurant Group, submitted the high bid, which apparently fell just short of Remlinger’s reported $15,000 asking price.
“The next step is to offer it to the highest bidder or try to sell it privately,” Ray Schulte of Schulte Auctions told Mitchell. “Usually the owner takes a couple of days to think about it.”
If the difference between high bid and reserve price is truly only $600 or so it seems like a no-brainer that the two sides can work out a side deal, although perhaps once he’s away from the auction mindset DePorter will realize that he’d be paying $15,000 for the broken barrel of a corked baseball bat and decide against it.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.