Jayson Werth is likely done in Philadelphia

10 Comments

Not to kick Phillies fans while they are down or anything, but shortly after last night’s season-ending loss to the Giants, Jon Heyman of SI.com tweeted that teammates don’t expect Jayson Werth to return next season.

Of course, this shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Werth is poised to make big money in free agency, especially after hiring Scott Boras as his agent earlier this year. By the way, Boras has already likened his new client to Matt Holliday, another one of his clients. And as you may remember, Holliday signed a seven-year, $120 million contract with the Cardinals last winter. The Phillies already have over $143 million tied up in 18 players next season, so Werth will probably be too rich for their blood.

Fortunately, the Phillies have Domonic Brown at the ready as an in-house replacement. The 23-year-old outfielder had a .210 batting average with two home runs and 13 RBI in limited action with the Fightins this season, but batted .327/.391/.589 with 20 homers and 68 RBI in 389 at-bats between Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He is a highly-regarded prospect, but as with any rookie, growing pains are to be expected.

As Buster Olney of ESPN.com pointed out earlier this afternoon, another concern is that Brown bats from the left side of the plate. The Phillies are already lefty-heavy in their middle of the their lineup, so replacing the right-handed bat of Werth with Brown may make the Phillies’ lineup easier to navigate late in games.

We’ll have plenty of time to talk about where Werth may end up in the days and weeks to come, but Ross Gload has already named an early favorite for the outfielder’s services. According to John R. Finger of CSNPhilly.com, Gload said the following to Werth as he walked through the clubhouse exit last night:

“Don’t let those Yankees boss you around.”

Dagger.

Rays moving spring camp due to damage caused by hurricane

Nathan Ray Seebeck-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – The Tampa Bay Rays are relocating their spring base for 2023 due to extensive damage to team training facilities caused by Hurricane Ian.

The Rays have trained since 2009 in Port Charlotte, Florida, about 90 minutes south of St. Petersburg, and intend to explore several options before making a decision on where to hold spring training and play Grapefruit League games when camp opens.

The team and Charlotte County released a joint statement Thursday, saying damage to Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte can’t be repaired in time to host games this winter.

“Charlotte County supports the Rays efforts to secure alternative accommodations for 2023 spring training,” the statement said.

“We are all disappointed for the residents of Charlotte County and the fans there. The community is in the thoughts and hearts of the Rays, and the team will continue to support recovery efforts,” the statement added. “The Rays and Charlotte County intend to develop a restoration plan for Charlotte Sports Park in the coming weeks.”