Ozzie Guillen to remain with White Sox in 2011

4 Comments

Despite recent speculation that he’d bolt due to a deteriorating relationship with general manager Kenny Williams, manager Ozzie Guillen will be back with the White Sox in 2011, MLB.com’s Scott Merkin reported Monday.
According to Merkin, Guillen met separately with Williams and owner Jerry Reinsdorf and came away pleased.
Even though he was under contract for 2011, Guillen had been mentioned in connection with the Marlins, Cubs and, to a lesser extent, the Mets. Florida, in particular, seemed like a great fit, particularly given his home in Miami.
Guillen, however, would seem to be in a better baseball situation with the White Sox than with the possible alternatives. In seven years with the Pale Hose, he has a 595-533 record and just two seasons below .500. He guided the team to a world championship in 2005.
The 46-year-old Guillen may yet ask for a contract extension this winter. As is, the White Sox have an option on his contract for 2012 that will only become guaranteed if the team goes to the World Series next season.

The Mets are strongarming Devin Mesoraco into retiring

Elsa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Mets told catcher Devin Mesoraco on Saturday that he will not make the team, Mike Puma of the New York Post reported. Mesoraco, a major league veteran of eight seasons, said he won’t accept a reassignment to Triple-A. According to Matt Ehalt of Yahoo Sports, the Mets will place Mesoraco on the restricted list rather than release him. As a result, Mesoraco is expected to retire from baseball.

This is a bad look for the Mets. Most teams release the major league-caliber players they don’t plan to break camp with so they can pursue opportunities elsewhere. The Mets must really be hurting for catching depth.

Mesoraco, 30, was decent as the Mets’ back-up last season after coming over from the Reds in the Matt Harvey deal, batting .222/.306/.409 with 10 home runs and 30 RBI in 229 plate appearances. Mesoraco is a bit below-average defensively and spent much of the mid-2010’s on the disabled list dealing with hip and shoulder injuries.

On Monday afternoon, the Mets signed free agent catcher René Rivera, per SNY’s Andy Martino. Rivera was recently released by the Giants. He is less potent with the bat than Mesoraco, but a bit better defensively. Rivera will back up Wilson Ramos and Travis d'Arnaud will likely open the season on the injured list. Tomás Nido will be the third-string catcher behind Rivera.