Ozzie Guillen talks about his future, Cubs vacancy

3 Comments

The baseball world seems to have a love-hate relationship with White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.  He’s honest, and we all like honesty.  Or, at least we pretend to like honesty.  But he’s also loud and somewhat egotistical, and maybe even a little crazy.

Guillen let loose on Saturday when asked about his future with the White Sox and whether he had any interest in heading to the north side of Chicago next season.  Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times has the goods.

“If [owner] Jerry [Reinsdorf] don’t want me, yes,” Guillen said. “My position was I would
never sign another place and leave the White Sox for the Cubs because of
the respect for Jerry. But if Jerry is leaving me? I not leaving them,
they are leaving me. Then, I have a choice to make. Everything is out
there.  As soon as you get divorced, you are free to do whatever you want.”

Guillen made sure to explain this his “first, second and third” choice would be to remain with the White Sox.  But he wants a commitment from the team and the speculation that he might be let go has clearly found its way under his skin.

The White Sox will miss the playoffs this year for a second consecutive season.  Still, our guess is that he stays.  Reinsdorf likes him, general manager Kenny Williams likes him, and players seem to enjoy playing for him.  Plus, it’s not like the White Sox were completely out of contention all year.  The Twins simply ran away with the division crown down the stretch.

Cardinals shut down Carlos Martínez for two weeks due to shoulder issue

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
3 Comments

MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosh reports that the Cardinals are shutting down pitcher Carlos Martínez from throwing for two weeks because his shoulder strength isn’t where it should have been at this point. Langosch added that an MRI showed no structural damage in Martínez’s right shoulder.

Interestingly, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak didn’t sound too happy with Martínez offseason training regimen. Per Mark Saxon of The Athletic, Mozeliak said, “Obviously, there’s a history with Carlos’ shoulder and it would be probably in everybody’s best interest if he maintained a constant or perpetual approach to that program.”

Martínez, 27, battled oblique and shoulder injuries last year. He accrued just 118 2/3 innings, making just 18 starts. He was moved to the bullpen when he returned from the disabled list in August and finished out the season in that role. Still, Martínez managed a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts and 60 walks.

Langosch reported last week that the Cardinals were considering using Martínez in relief again in 2019. The latest news may push the Cardinals to indeed use Martínez out of the bullpen once again. He will be reevaluated in early March, but there is a chance he won’t be ready for Opening Day.